WHAT YOU CAN DO
* Bee stings are a frequent problem in dogs, especially the curious puppies that stick their noses in the wrong spots. The most common sign is a big swollen muzzle. You can make a thick paste out of baking soda and water and cover the sting. This is very soothing because it helps neutralize the acid venom. If you have Benadryl on hand then call your vet for the correct dose. This is an antihistamine and helps decrease the swelling. You can also rub one drop of nettle extract directly on the sting. Most dogs will be fine, but occasionally, some dogs have breathing difficulties and need to be watched carefully for 24 hours.
* If you’re camping or taking your dog out on the trails, it’s a good idea to get a snakebite kit. Buy the kind that uses suction to remove the venom. If your dog does get bitten by a snake, compress the wound and the area above the wound, pick up your dog, and take him to the vet for a shot of anti-venom. Try to keep him as still as possible because movement increases the circulation, which increases the rate at which the venom moves into your dog’s body. Don’t put ice on the wound for the same reason.
* Facial swelling around the mouth and nose is common if your dog has been stung by a bee.
* Snakebites may cause your dog to tremble, drool, vomit, or even collapse.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.